. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I have a lightly used Stabila level, ok its not calibrated but I am a trained carpenter, so am well used to reading such things.

For sure I see twist in the beds, one end to the other, if I remove the twist would that affect the headClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Maximat level test, head stock end.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	32065Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maximat level test, tail stock end.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	32066 stock I wonder?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,910. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    The spindle itself won't adjust.

The entire headstock assembly will need to be adjusted.
    It's possibly done by the grubscrews (No. 48), but there will likely be some correct order to do the adjustment. Probably slacken the main mounting bolts, adjust the grub screws, then re-tighten. You may need to fully remove the headstock to work out how they adjust, but you'll have to be aware of any shims that might have been used.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    The spindle itself won't adjust.

The entire headstock assembly will need to be adjusted.
    It's possibly done by the grubscrews (No. 48), but there will likely be some correct order to do the adjustment. Probably slacken the main mounting bolts, adjust the grub screws, then re-tighten. You may need to fully remove the headstock to work out how they adjust, but you'll have to be aware of any shims that might have been used.
    Thanks, that will be a big job.

I would think I need a test bar say 12" long to center on the Tailstock center point?

The mount bolts are hidden at the back by the drive motor, so that will need removal also.

All the best and thanks for your comments!

You need to check the bed levelling, don't try fiddling with the headstock alignment. There is probably a small amount of twist in the bed which can be removed first by making sure the stand is rigidly fixed to the floor, then careful adjustment of the clamping bolts holding the lathe bed down. A precision spirit level is very helpful to test across the bed at various points to make sure they are all coplanar.

Yes, a check with my level shows that the bed has a twist in it, I can shim the mounting cabinet easy enough, will it correct the headstock I wonder?

Ok, job done and it took a couple of hours, adding Formica shims until the level read the same at either end of the beds.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maximat tailstock shims.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	210.6 KB 
ID:	32067

The test on the alloy tube run again and the run out is still showing 0.003" , so no change there .
    Last edited by Africanimp; 28-12-2023 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks, I tried that and the link to me to Kenwood 450TS ham radio!

I will have another go just now.

It worked for me, try this link
    [email protected]
    I sent an email initially (took a while for a reply) when i was after info on my Emco 7.
    then you will get access to the forum.
    Here ar some more links
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Thanks, I have messaged the [email protected] , when I have a reply I will post it here!

These pictures show how the gear head is fastened and located to the rails, there are no adjustments.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maximat V10P gear head mount fasteners.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	32068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maximat V10P gear head location groove.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	32069
    Last edited by Africanimp; 28-12-2023 at 01:33 PM.

the first of the 2 pics shows the the 2 scerews i mentioned earlier, looks like these could inpinge on the mounting screw body allowing it to have some slight allignment

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information