PDA

View Full Version : LinuxCNC

Chaz
16-09-2024, 08:06 PM
Hi, I've avoided Linux CNC due to the assumed time sink into getting it understood / learnt and configured.

That said, once I can get my head around what controller to use (Mesa, so many options), it looks very powerful and one of the few cheaper ways to get 5 Axis RTCP without paying >£1K for a controller.

I'm thinking about trying a setup on my little boxford dueti Lathe / Mill. Ill focus on the lathe part, need a Y axis for tooloffsets. Any idea where to start in terms of controllers?

I was looking at the Mesa 7i96s - is this all I need for 3 axis and spindle speed input with the usual end stops / limits etc?

Thanks

m_c
16-09-2024, 10:39 PM
I dabbled in LCNC last year.

7i96 will give enough basic functionality for most machines, the S version adds the expansion port required for daughter cards.

Chaz
16-09-2024, 10:43 PM
Thanks. When do we need additional cards? Will the one I referred to do basic 3 axis step dir, 0 to 10v for spindle and encoder spindle input?

m_c
16-09-2024, 11:07 PM
When you run out of inputs/outputs.

I never went the Mesa route, as I was playing with some EtherCAT drives, but discovered a major show stopping bug, which nobody knew the cause off, or how to fix, so those drives/motors are still sat unused on the shelf.

Chaz
17-09-2024, 08:39 AM
When you run out of inputs/outputs.

I never went the Mesa route, as I was playing with some EtherCAT drives, but discovered a major show stopping bug, which nobody knew the cause off, or how to fix, so those drives/motors are still sat unused on the shelf.

Thanks.

The kit you have, does it do step / direction too? If so, would you consider selling it for me to try and use (not in Ethercat mode)?

Thanks

m_c
17-09-2024, 05:58 PM
No, they're EtherCAT only, and the other two non-EtherCAT sets I've got lying around are destined for machines.