Quote Originally Posted by CNCMEBABY View Post
Is it an X3 you've converted?
Yes, though it's not 100% complete yet, the mechanicals are done and I've got the motors spinning in the bench but I've not put it all together yet.
Also, I went with these massive 8Nm Nema 34 steppers that a friend donated and the mounts are made are massive so I'm already planning Mk2 !

Just thinking, it could be feasible to have the regular ball nut (or indeed a double nut) mounted backwards on the screw to gain the maximum amount of travel. Would need to offset the BK mounting further forward from the front of the saddle but that should be easy enough with a suitable lump of aluminium. It would protrude more and really necessitate the stepper going off to the side with the pulleys and belt or I'd never get past the thing in the garage .
Yes you can push the nuts forward to gain space and you'll get more space on the underside, but you don't gain any headroom.

Another thought: if you're planning to offset the stepper, on Y you'll need to offset upwards as there's no space to go sideways, you've got maybe 80mm width until you hit the dovetails.

I'm currently modelling a homebrew double nut 1204 solution:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x-1.png 
Views:	134 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	29693
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	x-2.png 
Views:	133 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	29694

In theory the length will end up being 74-77mm so would need extra space on the Y.

Not sure if I want to grind my nuts!!
It's not ideal, but it's not too horrific. You'll need to take the nuts apart to clean them after grinding - daunting if you've never done it but there are vids out there and all you need is grease get the balls to stay in place as you load them back in.