. .
    Lives in Fife, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 8. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Hi, Could anyone please give me a bit of guidance. My CNC is becoming unpredictable.Yesterday it stopped, saying there was an external stop pressed when there was no-one near it or even in the workshop. Then I sent it to home and tried to home it but it just slowly crept down towards the spoilboard. I had to stop it. I tried several times to home it but ended up turning it off. It was also cutting deeper with different tool paths when they should have been the same. I stopped using the z sensor device and started using a piece of paper to set z,
    Today - completely different file. I set the Z using a piece of paper. Half way through a sign it started cutting much deeper. It had already cut a good bit perfectly. It also didn’t lift properly between cuts and scraped across the wood.
    The z flow is regular without any hiccups and it moves in every direction smoothly. The machine looks and feels as solid as a rock. I suspect software but I don’t know what.
    Can anyone please tell me what I should be looking for.
    Thanks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2053.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	698.3 KB 
ID:	32361
    Last edited by BruceR; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:07 PM. Reason: Picture of spoilboard added

I would begin by looking inside the controller for signs of a short or loose connection.Without knowing a bit more about the nature of the machine it isn't really possible to say more than examine all aspects of the module that controls the Z axis,including the coupling from the stepper.I would try -after removing the cutter-moving the Z axis in space to see if it does what it should.

Lives in Fife, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 3-4 years. Has a total post count of 8. Received thanks 1 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Thanks very much for helping me. I went out this morning to, as you say, check the electronics, and UCCNC would only open in demo mode so I think there’s a corruption in the PC. I’m going to get a friend to check the PC hardware, fix it, and then reinstall UCCNC. I see there is a text file on the desktop which I think is the license. I’ll need to bring the whole thing in to the house where it can reach wifi.
    Many thanks again fir your help.

Thread Information