. .
    Lives in Winchester, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Weeks Ago Has a total post count of 1.
    Not sure if this is the right sub forum for my problem but here goes.

Earlier this year I purchased a second hand High Z S 400 machine which came with a separate stepper motor controller and a licenced version of WinPC NC USB and Vectric Aspire.

I've spent the last few months getting to grips with all the various aspects and I'm really happy with High Z and Vectric Aspire.

However the WinPC controller software has me tearing my hair out - it seems very clunky, is no way (new) user friendly and there are no easy ways of solving problems - in short I have been toying with the idea of abandoning it and going with Mach 3 or UCCNC.

I have now come across an issue with WinPC which means I'm going to bite the bullet and dump it.

My problem is that the High Z uses a stepper motor controller with parallel ports (or are they LPT's) and I need an idiots guide as to how I configure what I've got to allow me to use Mach 3 or UCCNC.

I've read about UC100 and UC 300/400 Eth but I don't know if I'm on the right track or not.

I'm not sure if I have given enough information but any help or guidance would be very welcome (also any thoughts on Mach 3 or UCCNC).

Mach 3 is a little old
    I use linuxcnc for my plasma and changed from March 3 to AXBB-E Ethernet Motion Controller+ Free UCCNC
    Below is a forum member
    [email protected]
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in lowestoft, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 15.
    I have Mach3 and use it for V.carving of wooden signs, Carving wood models and machining cabinet panels etc.

Mach three has been around for a long time and has been updated but the newer version is Mach4.

There are some things that Mach3 lacks like automatic probing but I looked on Utube and found I could download scripts for automated probing. You can also buy screensets such as the 2010 Screenset that has automated probing build in so again not really a problem but something to look for.

Mach3 also has a massive amount of support on the net so you will always be able to find the answers to any questions you have about it.

I think it is important to use a good motion controller if you want to get the best out of any programme because a good motion controller should have a good amount of input/output pins etc for controlling your machine. My control card is very basic and does suffer from a lack of input/output pins.

I guess it's best to make a list of things you want your machine to do then check to see if the software has that option built in or if it is available as a downloadable add on.

Thread Information