. .
    Lives in Barnstaple, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 4 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 0-1 years. Has a total post count of 1.
    Hi

I have a Conect 121 lathe based on the Myford ML10 that I'm going to upgrade the electronics on. At the moment is has a standard DC motor to drive the spindle, but to modernise the machine a bit I was looking at fitting a proper servo spindle motor, needs to be 0.5-0.75kw.

I'd rather use a servo rather than a standard ac motor and speed controller as obviously at lower speeds I'll lose torque.

Are these any different to normal servo motors? and can anyone recommend where to buy a motor and drive? I'm assuming something like this, but ideally in the UK.

HTML Code:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324246301882
    Many thanks

Look for a Jack industrial sewing machine motor on Amazon.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,927. Received thanks 361 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Any suitably sized servo motor should work.

The driver is where you need to make sure that it'll do what you'd like it to.
    Key things are, are you going to drive the spindle via pulses (either step/dir, CW/CCW, or quadrature) or Analog (+/-10V), do you want an encoder output from the drive, and do you want the drive mains, or lower voltage powered?

Also make sure there is an English manual available for whatever drive you buy.

I personally buy Lichuan from AliExpress/Alibaba. Manuals aren't as good as Leadshine's, however prices are better and the sales team are fairly good at answering technical questions.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Thread Information