. .
    I want to use Vcarve and Fusion 360 for my cam

Do I need to just rip the controller off and replace it?

Or can I download toolpath and plug .nc files into it?

Where do I download it?

I'd rather not replace the controller unless I need to

Thanks
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

https://uk.cncshop.com/products/sku-tp2906

WTH??

Charging for software to use the machine you bought and paid for

This leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Is this what I need?

Will it even work with a 2006 router?

I saw something about an overpriced converter but I have a real Desktop PC so I assume I can drop a PCI card to do the same thing for a fraction of the price
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

I think you may have some confusion going on.Can you fill in a few details about your prior experience with CNC?

Briefly,you need an RS485 to communicate with the machine and it will be connected to a USB port on the computer.This is how you send the Gcode to the controller.Whether you use Vcarve or Fusion is your choice and either will cost you in one way or another.Commissioning and calibrating a router to perform all the functions that you need is not a small task and you are unlikely to improve on the functionality that the machine originally had.

Quote Originally Posted by routerdriver View Post
    I think you may have some confusion going on.Can you fill in a few details about your prior experience with CNC?

Briefly,you need an RS485 to communicate with the machine and it will be connected to a USB port on the computer.This is how you send the Gcode to the controller.Whether you use Vcarve or Fusion is your choice and either will cost you in one way or another.Commissioning and calibrating a router to perform all the functions that you need is not a small task and you are unlikely to improve on the functionality that the machine originally had.
    RS485 seems to be using gnd, rx and tx only

I should just be able to use a PCI RS485 I think

I'll have to have another look for the software as I found both manuals so I'd think they'd have kept the software

I don't mind buying the software but I want to know it works first

the chicken and the egg

Look at my signature, I built a machine and have run Linuxcnc and a DDCSV which emulates a Fanuc

Cut some stuff with Vcarve and Fusion 360, know something about toolpaths

My machine lost it's settings but I'm getting that fixed so will have 2 machines a toy and a big one

I have a couple of people to help me work out how to use it properly and install everything like the vac pump and extraction, sort out the lube

I'm still amateur at CNC but I know enough to get me going and delve into the machine electronics

Although I have never done Servos before only steppers

I also have done a lot of stepper stuff on Arduinos for custom projects

Unless the controller within the machine has been damaged a good RS485 is all you need.The functions of the machine are accessed from the console and once the programs are lodged within the controller,it can run without the computer being connected.Before doing anything with the machine powered up it may be best to remove the tool and collet as you can't know what was last in use and any tool you insert may be long enough to bury itself in the spoilboard.

The CD with Toolpath may well include the drivers for an RS485 and you need to ascertain that they will work with the operating system you have on the computer that connects to the machine-assume nothing!You may even need to find an old XP machine and use it for nothing but transferring programs.

Are you quite sure your machine has servos?I used to run a slightly older machine that had steppers which were amply powerful.

You need to know a few of the F functions before going too far and F1,F2,F4,F8,F9,F12and if you have a tool length sensor F25.There will be enough information in the manuals but they are quite "interesting" to delve into.Once set up it isn't hard to use Toolpath to send the files to the machine and I have trained a few people to do just that plus selecting files and had them producing parts within a few minutes of walking up to the machine.

Thread Information