. .

Thread: LinuxCNC

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,627. Received thanks 113 times, giving thanks to others 70 times.
    Hi, I've avoided Linux CNC due to the assumed time sink into getting it understood / learnt and configured.

That said, once I can get my head around what controller to use (Mesa, so many options), it looks very powerful and one of the few cheaper ways to get 5 Axis RTCP without paying >£1K for a controller.

I'm thinking about trying a setup on my little boxford dueti Lathe / Mill. Ill focus on the lathe part, need a Y axis for tooloffsets. Any idea where to start in terms of controllers?

I was looking at the Mesa 7i96s - is this all I need for 3 axis and spindle speed input with the usual end stops / limits etc?

Thanks

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,927. Received thanks 361 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I dabbled in LCNC last year.

7i96 will give enough basic functionality for most machines, the S version adds the expansion port required for daughter cards.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,627. Received thanks 113 times, giving thanks to others 70 times.
    Thanks. When do we need additional cards? Will the one I referred to do basic 3 axis step dir, 0 to 10v for spindle and encoder spindle input?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Current Activity: Viewing Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,927. Received thanks 361 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    When you run out of inputs/outputs.

I never went the Mesa route, as I was playing with some EtherCAT drives, but discovered a major show stopping bug, which nobody knew the cause off, or how to fix, so those drives/motors are still sat unused on the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    When you run out of inputs/outputs.

I never went the Mesa route, as I was playing with some EtherCAT drives, but discovered a major show stopping bug, which nobody knew the cause off, or how to fix, so those drives/motors are still sat unused on the shelf.
    Thanks.

The kit you have, does it do step / direction too? If so, would you consider selling it for me to try and use (not in Ethercat mode)?

Thanks

No, they're EtherCAT only, and the other two non-EtherCAT sets I've got lying around are destined for machines.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

Thread Information