Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
I know, but proper double nuts aren't as good as two nuts and springs / belville washers are they.
When I referred to 'double nuts and a spring' earlier I was thinking of doing something like this as it's a simple way of implementing it:
Ok as my final comment on this.!! . . Yes and no. Yes Belville washers will apply far more preload but at the potential cost of shortend life.! There is such a thing as too much preload.
So then for that very reason NO it doesn't make them better.!! . . . .They will only be better for shortened period of time, obviously how long depends on Belville force, but they will wear sooner with the ultimate result of a wornout knackerd screw.
If good quality screws with high preload doublenuts are used they will give zero backlash with trouble free service for years, if installed correctly and maintained properly.
Yes they come at an high cost but theres a reason for that, precision costs.! . . . . If it was just a simple case of sandwhich a few Belville washers between 2 std nuts without any consiqences or performance costs then thats what they would do dont you think.?

Anyway all of this is Ballcocks for 99.9% of DIY level machines and certainly cheap C7 chinese screws.

James I appologise for filling your thread with unrelated post's so know I will say no more unless related to your specific build, which this originally kind of did.!