Quote Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Robin have you given much thought to the "hammering out ceremony" once the ballsrew is attached?
I'm doing it the same way I did last time, the screw housing bolts to the honking plate. Only difference is I'm using 2 screws this time instead of one. I think it needs a bit extra to lock the screw parallel to the quill.

Quote Originally Posted by irving2008 View Post
I may well be interested in your old Z-axis... its still likely to be an order of magnitude better than anything I can produce (yet).
Not exactly pretty but you can have the X and Y screws if it helps They are cluttering up the workshop, probably going in the bin next time I tidy the shelves. If I find a box I could send the whole she-bang standard parcels.

I bought zero backlash nuts from Marchant Dice for the X and Y, odd things that you had to crush sideways to set. I never got the backlash below 3 thou. Also I didn't get the ends machined, just glued on extension sleeves with Loctite. With the benefit of hindsight, a false economy.

The Z axis was a disappointment, nice screw off ebay but I didn't eliminate flex and it always fell slightly short of the mark. I'm hoping the honking plate will fix that.

Robin