. .

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I understand all of your viewpoints gentlemen and I do appreciate the honesty and the reality checks. Please gentlemen, do not mistake my response as trite or shooting back. I would just like to explain myself a bit more and show that the time you have spent providing advice was not to someone unable to grasp the task at hand. It is a reality check only because I concede to need a more in depth knowledge base which I would attain while researching products to buy, but I do feel had I the tools and the funds I would be able to make the machine I initially intended for the price I set out... Call me optimistic (Many don't) :)

I do however have some knowledge and some base to work on. (I would need Real World advice to ensure my research and understanding were correct)

The 15 hours I spent is kind of a very low number but I sold myself short a little. I took some machine shop classes in college. I have an engineering background with less than 30 hours needed to graduate. its not by any means an accomplishment yet as I still need to graduate but I have an understanding. I Have designed parts and completed projects in Autocad and Inventor. Again this also does not give me the knowledge in real world experience but I believe I am a little more qualified than the "complete beginner" which is what I feel I came across as in this post. ( I explained all this to the man that was inquiring if I would fix the pressure housings and he still said he would like me to try the repair, needless to say i never got the chance)

I do have insight on how business works and what it takes to plan a business. Implementing that knowledge is where I am at. I am trying to start a small business but more of a hobby-shop. I need to avoid the pressures that come along with "mainstream" business. I wanted to build a CNC Machine because I felt spending 20K on a Tormach is unnecessary and I believed I could accomplish that goal with the funds I would have used on the Tormach.

From what I have read and their own site. They sound like good machines. Precision ground ball screws to .0008" over 36" span. Hybrid stepper motors ( I don't like, prefer Servo's), 1.5hp spindle. Claim to mill many materials from plastics to titanium. Available tool changer.... Its like a mini HAAS which was the machining center we worked/learned on in school. Maybe not in the same league but close enough for the price tag.

Basically I am working on becoming more and completing my degree once life settles down some. Again I apologize if this sounds trite I am just trying to explain my qualifications to show I am on the right track. And that I do understand all of what you gentlemen have said to me. I would however ask that you keep an open mind. I will be building this CNC machine I have been speaking about. I have taken the advice provided and so far, very much considering taking the leap on the Tormach. After considering budget, time, profitability, functionality, ease of use, repair, saftey, precision, accuracy etc... I think it will do. Only very few things I don't like but I will deal with those things and perhaps learn what changes to make on my design if I need any. So again thank you all for your advice it has been a great learning experience.

I will look over used Iron in my areas to see if any machines are available cheaply to retrofit but I have done this in the past and for what I consider a few bucks more you can get brand new with warranty which equals peace of mind that I think I need. I am not ruling it out, you guys have real world experience so I will take anything you say into serious consideration. Thank you all again for the help so far.
    Last edited by oldmam4m80s; 05-11-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Thread Information