Geoffrey, by come-along, i mean chain and tackle. Essentially, when I layed the concete floor, I sat a 30cmx30cm x 10mm steel plates down first, with a big steel bar loop welded to them. I then poured best part of 20 tons of cement on top of it, leaving the exposed ringlet pretruding from the floor. this is positioned at the back of the garage, in the middle of the garage door opening. I then use something similar to this

to literally, drag anything into the garage/workshop.

To complicate things, there are other ringlets dotted around the edges of the workshop floor that I use to drag in different directions. Bit like a poor-mans gantry crane.

WHen I bought then house, the garage (my own, on my land) was surrounded by council owned garages, on what used to be a council garage site (ala 1970's). I was fortunate enough to rent 8 of them and at the time, I had knocked through. However, the garage site was soon sold to a developer, and now my workshop is surrounded by "studio apartments", When they were building the houses I referred to it as "benefit street", as I didnt believe the developer would be able to rent them out privately as he had suggested. However, it appears they are all indeed rented privately which is better than I had hoped. That said, As you can imagine, I dont doubt the tenants (fiat 500's, jocks, fashionable young lads) are best pleased with my workshop landed right in the middle of it. So I go out of my way to live up to their expectation. I was there first!!! :D