. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    We have been trying to get a solar PV quote from a company with a good reputation since February. They originally said we should be sorted by September or October but keep getting repeat orders from a commercial client so we don’t make it up the list. They have stopped quoting for new enquiries but no sign of us getting any further up the list. They also mentioned shortages of panels and other parts.

We also tried 3 other places but they are all busy and not quoting for new business currently.

We have been using the time to research all the options including storage batteries, optimisers and so on. It is a bit of a minefield and all we can hope to do is try to work out what questions we need to ask otherwise we will get a ‘nice little system that is easy to install’ but maybe not what we need. For example there are different batteries depending on if you want to buy and sell (high cycle).

It’s a bit like saying you want a CNC machine. OK, well what do you need to do and what are the specs? Hopefully we will get there in the end!
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    We have been trying to get a solar PV quote from a company with a good reputation since February. They originally said we should be sorted by September or October but keep getting repeat orders from a commercial client so we don’t make it up the list. They have stopped quoting for new enquiries but no sign of us getting any further up the list. They also mentioned shortages of panels and other parts.

We also tried 3 other places but they are all busy and not quoting for new business currently.

We have been using the time to research all the options including storage batteries, optimisers and so on. It is a bit of a minefield and all we can hope to do is try to work out what questions we need to ask otherwise we will get a ‘nice little system that is easy to install’ but maybe not what we need. For example there are different batteries depending on if you want to buy and sell (high cycle).

It’s a bit like saying you want a CNC machine. OK, well what do you need to do and what are the specs? Hopefully we will get there in the end!
    I am glad we installed it three years ago. It paid off well, we have passed 1/3 of the investment in savings so far, and we still have four months to the exact three year marker. I have several colleagues who have trouble getting quotes and some installers just don't give any quotes at all because they have the order books filled and have problems getting solar panels delivered. Everybody is in panic right now.

I have just ordered a Growatt AC Charger & Growatt 6.5kw Battery for my 4Kw (16 panels) PV system that I have had for 8.5 years It has generated 31.95 MWh to date.

My system has a small inverter under each panel so it outputs 230V AC so all the panels are connected in parallel (enphase) If you use a system with just one inverter they have to be wired in series and bring 450V DC ish down to the inverter..

I also don't let any power to go back to the grid as it diverts surplus energy to the immersion heater (boiler set to 30c and the panels bring up to 70c most days.
    This is achieved with a box I built for the job .

The company I am using to install the battery and Charger is ([email protected])

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Enphase.jpeg 
Views:	196 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	31200
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Brilliant thanks Clive.
    I’ve been running spreadsheets on our East West roof and was looking at:
    Panels on West only ( East or East and West combinations were not so good)
    4 or 6 kWp panels (in series as no shade on roof and cheaper)
    6 kWh battery
    Single inverter
    Eddi water heater diverter
    Zappi car charger (existing)
    Octopus Agile tariff as this allows buy/sell every 30 mins

Undecided on AC (grid side) or DC ( panel side) for battery but leaning towards panel side as less conversions AC to DC and I think I have more control over the battery(?). Plus many more confusing questions and options!
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

Brilliant thanks Clive.
    I’ve been running spreadsheets on our East West roof and was looking at:
    Panels on West only ( East or East and West combinations were not so good)
    4 or 6 kWp panels (in series as no shade on roof and cheaper)
    6 kWh battery
    Single inverter
    Eddi water heater diverter
    Zappi car charger (existing)
    Octopus Agile tariff as this allows buy/sell every 30 mins

Undecided on AC (grid side) or DC ( panel side) for battery but leaning towards panel side as less conversions AC to DC and I think I have more control over the battery(?). Plus many more confusing questions and options!
    My Battery & Charger is being fitted on the 12th Sept
    The installation also includes solar panels clean.
    Service every year for 10 years.
    Guarantee on Bat. and charger 15 years.
    Full monitoring with App.

We get paid for what we generate. I think that has been stopped now for new systems.

My panels are only 240w I think they have improved them to give out about 320 ish W

Also you could only have 4Kw on a domestic install at the time, this has now been changed. If I add more I lose the payment FIT.

The system has more than paid for itself by a long way.

Good luck with the install.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Thread Information