As Rob says, there's a high probability that moving the wiring has broken a core somewhere - I have also suffered my share of broken wires! A real pain in the posterior to track down although at least you generally know which cable is broken (it's the one that's most difficult to get to...)

However, I made my suggestion on the basis that even though it's not very likely, it is so easy to check that it might be worth doing. In my own case, I was getting these limit trips maybe 50% of the time - maybe it would fail once or twice at the beginning of a session and then work perfectly for the rest of the evening. There was no visible movement of the axis causing the trip when it happened. Still, the hysteresis in mechanical switches should mean that it can't happen. And that's what I thought with my proximity switches as well - that wasn't a very sound assumption!

Good luck with it anyway - these kinds of things are a bit of a nuisance but once you've got the thing fixed, you should have a decent machine.