I shouldn't be too worried about wiping out electronics in the neighbourhood, as in term of high frequency interference from the output switching edges (which is what normally does that) there's no reason why a voltage doubler input is likely to be much worse that a standard bridge circuit, it's all down to the input filtering. The main problem as you point out is the harmonic current generation due to the very short and very large current spikes it draws when charging the internal capacitors from the AC mains waveform, which the power companies hate as it puts a very uneven load on the generators and squares off the top of the supposedly sinusoidal AC waveform. It can be ameliorated to some extent by putting a hefty inductor in the supply line, I did this on a SMPS I designed a while back where for various reasons we didn't want to add an active Power Factor Corrector (PFC) front end, and it worked well enough to get it through the relevant harmonic current regs. The other thing to also watch out for on such voltage doubler circuits is the lifetime of the capacitors, as they're getting some serious current pulses going through them, cheapo ones just won't last.